After several years of WFH, it’s time for us to give remote meetings the consideration they’re due.
Gone are the days of working hunched over at our dining room tables. Now that many of us have permanently relocated our offices to our homes, it’s time to say goodbye to cluttered backgrounds and other distractions. (Don’t worry, we don’t count pandemic pets as distractions here!)
As we conclusively settle into the new normal, consider investing in equipment and accessories to help boost your productivity. You’ve probably got a killer mic and camera setup. So how can you take things to the next level to create the ultimate remote meeting space?
We’ve rounded up some of our remote work accessories that you should definitely consider for your home office.
Greenscreens for the perfect backdrop
Not everyone can have the picture-perfect home office. When you want to keep your background hidden or keep things professional, virtual backgrounds are a great way to filter out any distractions.
While most meeting platforms like Zoom and Venue offer easy-to-use virtual backgrounds, they can be less than ideal. You’ll often find a distracting ring around your face or even your head floating in the square. These backgrounds are designed for greenscreens, which help separate you from everything going on behind you.
Choosing a green screen
Green screens are more than just big green drop cloths. While in theory you can just choose a green cloth, here are some things to consider when choosing a quality green screen for your home office.
- Size – How large is the screen? You’ll want your green screen to cover the entirety of what is viewable on camera behind you.
- Stand – How is the screen held up? Is it stuck on a wall or does it come with its own stand?
Our top WFH greenscreen picks
Green screens aren’t just for Hollywood sets anymore, they’re perfect for anyone who works from home and needs an easy backdrop solution. Here are some great solutions for home offices.
- BOYXO Collapsable Greenscreen – Designed specifically for use on video calls, this greenscreen sits comfortably on the back of your chair. When not in use, you can easily store it away.
- Zingbabu Greenscreen with Stand – A relatively affordable option, the Zingbabu Greenscreen is the perfect size at 100inches and comes with a stand for easy set-up.
- Elgato Wall Mounted Greenscreen – This wall-mounted screen means business. It’s retractable when not in use and ideal for creating a permanent green screen space in your home office.
Microphone arm stand for crisp hands-free audio
Working from home is awesome – until you get yourself completely tangled into everything on your desk. From coffee, to laptops and other accessories, there’s likely a lot happening in your workspace. Arm stands, also known as boom arms, can help keep your microphone off your desk.
The suspension style of boom arms means you’ll also be able to position your mic perfectly. This way you won’t need to hunch over to reach your microphone.
The best part? Most microphone arms are foldable and adjustable, so you can easily fold them up and move them out of the way when you’re not on a call.
Choosing a stand or boom arm
Microphone stands and boom suspension arms can be intimidating if you’re not an audio buff. Here are some things you should think about when choosing a suspension mic stand for your workspace.
- Attachment – Make sure that the attachment style works for your desk.
- Swivel and size – Based on the size of your desk, pick a stand that can be adjusted to where you need the mic.
- Portability – Pick a stand that’s easily packed up and stored if you like to move workspaces a lot or only need it from time to time.
Our favorite mic stands for home offices
We’ve made hands-free audio simple, by pulling together some mic stands that are great for home offices.
- Neewer Microphone Arm Stand – Compatible with most microphones, the Neewer Microphone arm stand is adjustable and easily clamps onto your desk for quick setup.
- Rode Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm – Slightly on the pricier side, but you can feel confident you’re getting top-notch quality with Rode.
Ready to make your meetings more fun and interactive? Get started today.Book a demo
Ring light for a glow-up
Ring lights aren’t just for influencers and make-up artists anymore. They’re an easy and affordable home office upgrade to help improve how you look on video.
The truth is, you likely haven’t chosen your workspace based on lighting. That’s okay! But it does mean that many of us don’t have optimal lighting for calls. This can create shadows and distract your audience.
Ring lights are the ultimate solution to brighten your face on calls. Even if you don’t have the latest webcam for remote meetings, the right lighting can significantly boost the quality of your video.
Choosing a ring light
While ring lights are pretty simple to use, there are a few things to think about before making your purchase.
- Stand – Do you want your ring light to stand on the floor or your desk?
- Size – Depending on the lighting in your space currently, you may want a slightly larger or smaller light. But anything from 8”-18” is typically standard for a ring light.
- Color – If the lighting in your space changes frequently, you might want a ring light that can be dimmed and adjusted for warmth and temperature.
Ring lights for meetings that shine
Whether you’re hosting your team’s next live Venue event or hopping on a daily stand-up, here are some ring lights that will give you that WFH glow.
- Selfila Video Conferencing Lighting Kit – Small but mighty, this ring light clips directly on top of your monitor or laptop. The portable size makes it the best ring light to take on the go. It also has 5 brightness settings and 5 color temperature options.
- UBeesize 10” Selfie Ring Light – With adjustable heights, this ring light with a floor stand is extremely versatile. Whether you’re sitting in on a meeting or delivering a presentation standing, you can move this ring light around to make sure you have perfect lighting.
- UBeesize 8” Table Top Ring Light – If you have a lot of desk space, this ring light is for you. Sitting comfortably on your desk, this relatively compact light can easily be moved around to achieve optimal lighting.
Headphones to keep things private
Working from home can come with a lot of background noise. Maybe that’s your dog barking at the mailman or your neighbor doing some 8am construction.
Even if your workspace is private, quality headphones are a great way to keep other noises out while in meetings. Headphones can also be a great companion if you make a day trip to work from a coffee shop or co-working space.
- Style – From over-ear to in-ear headphones, there are a lot of fantastic choices. But meetings can be long, so choose a style you’re most comfortable wearing.
- Noise-cancelling – Do you want the ability to cancel-out noises?
- Microphone – Depending on if you plan to have a stand-alone microphone, you may want to choose a headphone set with a quality built-in mic.
Best headphones for meetings
Whether you’re working from home or your local coffee shop, here are some of our favorite headphones for remote meetings.
- Apple Airpods Pro – Airpods have been making appearances on video calls for years. Compact and wireless, you can’t go wrong! If your workspace can get noisy, the Airpods Pro have a pretty solid noise-canceling feature.
- Jabra Elite 45h – For just over $100 you can’t go wrong. These Jabra over-ear headphones are the best bang for your buck. With 50 hours of battery life, you’ll be able to take a lot of meetings on a single charge!
- Bose Noise Cancelling 700 – Definitely a bit of a splurge item, but these Bose headphones deliver spectacular sound. The microphone is also extremely high-quality when it comes to built-in mics. Plus, the clear and crisp audio means won’t miss a single word on your next remote meeting
Gear up for your next remote meeting
Remote meetings aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Having a workspace that enhances your video call experience is more important than ever before. While you don’t need to replicate a movie set, it’s important to invest in the right gear – especially if you spend a lot of time in meetings or leading remote teams.
Whether you decide to upgrade your audio, video, or both – choosing even one of these accessory ideas will guarantee that you’ll run your next remote meeting at your very best!